Tuesday 11 July 2017

Mid-Year Review

Even though it's a little late, I wanted to do a mid-year review for the books that I've read this year.  Here is a list of my top ten favourite books I've read so far this year (re-reads not included!).


1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
If you caught my review of this book last week, you know how much I love it.  This is an absolutely amazing book - both lovely and heart-breaking - and should be read by everyone!  It is such an important read and probably one of my favourite books I've read in my life, not just this year!


2. Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
Eliza and Her Monsters is definitely one of my favourite books of the year.  It is amazingly fun to read but also has a large focus on mental illness and suicide.  The characters are lovable and extremely relate-able, especially for many of us introverted readers.


3. Geekerella by Ashley Poston
A modern re-telling of Cinderella, Geekerella was a great version of the old story that had a huge focus on fandom.  I love books that show the importance of fandom like this one did, especially when they do it in such a fun way.  The main characters were pretty awesome as well.


4. Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
This is one of the most unique books that I've read in awhile.  Normally I'm opposed to the epistolary format (this may be the first book written in this format that I've actually completed), but I thought it worked quite well in this case.  I grew attached to many of the characters as well (Ezra is adorable).  It kept me on my toes as I stayed up all night reading it.  It also reminded in some ways of a zombie movie, which is something I definitely enjoyed (even though I was pretty creeped out at the same time).


5. Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin
I read this book months ago and it's still stuck with me.  I thought the series was amazingly well-written and a lot of fun to read.  But I also loved the more serious aspect of the books (the point is to kill Hitler after all) and I think it was handled amazingly well.  I don't want to give too much away for those of you who haven't read it, but I'd definitely recommend everyone read this duology!


6. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
I honestly can't believe that I waited this long to read this book series; Percy Jackson was such a fun ride!  Riordan did an amazing job with creating lovable characters, an interesting plot, and just a fun read overall.  I also love Greek mythology so having another take on the myths was great as well!


7. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Just another pretty fun read so far this year.  It reminded me of Eliza and Her Monsters in a lot of ways, but was probably more fun with slightly less emphasis on more serious matters.  Was my second ever Rainbow Rowell book and was definitely not disappointed!


8. A List of Cages by Robin Roe
An absolutely heart-breaking read, but so amazing as well.  I think everyone should go into this book not knowing much about it, so I'm not going to say much, but I think it's an amazing book and would definitely recommend reading it.


9. Caraval by Stephanie Garber
Caraval may not be the best book I've ever read - it does have its issues and isn't necessarily the best written book I've ever read - but boy is it a fun read!  I first read it on a plane ride and was so engrossed in it that I spent the entire time reading it - and didn't even know when the plane landed!  I went in with few expectations - other than to read a fun book and be entertained - and was not disappointed at all.


10. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
The first Rainbow Rowell book I ever read.  I did find it a bit of a slow read, but I loved the relationship between Eleanor and Park.  It grew very organically and I couldn't help but fall in love with their story.


What about all of you?  What have been your favourite reads so far this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment