Friday 30 June 2017

Ranked: The Hunger Games

Hey guys, welcome back!  As I was looking around the shelves in my room I realized that the vast majority of my books are part of a larger series.  While standalone novels are amazing, there's just something that I love about a good series.  Maybe it's being able to spend more time in that particular fictional world, maybe it's because I get to see the characters continue to grow and change, or maybe I just don't even realize what I love about them so much!  Whatever the case may be, I thought it might be fun to go through my favourite series and rank the books from favourite to least favourite!  So, the last Friday of every month will now be dedicated to 'Ranked' where you'll get to see what some of my favourites are!  The topic for our first week is The Hunger Games!

#3. Mockingjay
Sadly, the third installment of this series is my least favourite of the three.  I loved that we finally got to see full-scale rebellions against the Capital and, obviously, that the Capital got taken down.  Unfortunately, other parts of the book weren't quite as interesting to me.  While it makes sense to the story at the time, the fact that Katniss isn't involved in much fighting for the first part of the book does make it a bit slow.  It wasn't until her group started fighting their way through the Capital that I really started flipping those pages fast, desperate to find out how it would end.  And, hijacked Peeta just makes me sad (enough said!).


#2. The Hunger Games
Ah, the book that started it all!  As much as I love the original, this first installment doesn't get the number one spot.  I loved the idea of the book (as horrifying as it it) and loved the characters.  It was a great introduction to the series but, like many first installments of book series, was lacking the feeling of 'something bigger'.  While we get a glimpse of that at the end of the book, for most of it Katniss was just like any other contestant in the game.  And while her story was interesting, it became far more interesting as the series progressed.




#1. Catching Fire
Ever since I read it, this has been my favourite book in the series.  While I adored the first one (obviously!) it's in this second installment that Katniss's story becomes part of something larger.  We get to see the consequences of her actions and 'rebelling against the Capital' from the first book and we also get introduced to more instances of fighting against the capital (District 8 anyone?).  On top of that, we get introduced to a ton of new characters including my all-time favourite: Finnick.  I also think that the games themselves were more interesting; I loved the clock idea and that each hour there was something else that was waiting to get the tributes.  It was much more interesting to me than Katniss just running around a forest.


Do you agree / disagree?  Why?  Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment