Friday 5 May 2017

A Review: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit is a wonderful introduction to Middle Earth, resonating with generations of people.  I re-read it for a class this past term and I loved it once again.  It's a fun and happy story, lacking some of the darkness that later appears in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I will say though that I've always had trouble reading Tolkien's writing.  Oftentimes he focuses, in my opinion anyway, on unnecessary things rather than the story itself.  I find The Hobbit lacks this extensive world building (to an extent) and focuses more on Bilbo's story which is much more enjoyable to me.  (Perhaps because it was written as a children's book it lacks these 'unnecessary' details?)

As always though, the story was a quick and fun read.  I'd recommend it to any age group as it has important themes and messages throughout that anybody can learn from.  If you haven't already, I'd say you should try reading it at least once - just so you know what you've been missing out of!

What did you think of it?  Let me know in the comments below!

Rated: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment